Monday, February 18, 2008

Trier Road Trip

We got our new car this weekend – an automatic. Kevin, sick and tired of being my chauffer, suggested that we take a road trip so that I could spend some time behind the wheel. We decided to go to Trier on Saturday.

Trier, located near the boarders of France and Luxemburg, is German’s oldest city. It was Rome’s capital for the area encompassing modern German, France, Spain, and England, so a plethora of ancient Roman buildings constitute the top tourist attractions. We visited:
• The Porta Negra, a sandstone gate that has turned black over time; it makes an imposing back drop for the town’s main square, which hosts the local market
• The Imperial Throne Room, which is a Lutheran Church today; it’s huge – the ceiling tiles are 10 by 10 feet squares of mahogany, and very impressive
• The Imperial Baths, a series of tunnels and the ruins of an amphitheater, which are dark, damp, and a little bit creepy

We also visited the Dom (Cathedral), which is Germany’s oldest Catholic Church.

I drove on the way home. I am happy to report that driving on the speed-limitless Autobahn was great…and the fact that the car only has kilometers on the odometer means that I have no idea how fast I was really going.

2 comments:

Irene and Dave said...

You guys...you're making me home sick for Germany! Trier was one of the last places we visited before we left...it was just a skip and a jump down the autobahn for us. Enjoy every second you have there - because, believe me, you'll miss it when you leave. Kev - you look great hopping around the ruins! :-) Rene

Anonymous said...

Erin,
Mat and I went to Trier a couple of summers ago and we absolutely loved it. It's such a historic town and people are uber friendly :)
I'm enjoying your blog!
Keep cooking and writing
Nadja